Tuesday, March 3, 2009

It's Tuesday! DO SOMETHING!

Hey all!

Tuesday again, and I'm actually around to do my Do Something segment. I've been seeing a lot of ads for fundraising walks lately, so I thought they were the thing to focus on today. After all, a fundraising walk increases the sense of community within a culture, increases the walkers' health and well-being, and raises funds for important health-related causes. Here's a few near and dear to my heart:

  • March of Dimes March for Babies
    The loss of an infant or unborn child is devastating for the entire family, and the discovery that a living child has a birth defect that will challenge her for the rest of her life is equally tragic. All too often, however, miscarriages, stillbirths, and neonatal deaths are swept under the rug, and families raising children with birth defects are left to fend for themselves. Help the parents of all of these children by donating to a run in your area or by running yourself and raising money for the cause. March of Dimes started as a push to cure polio, but today, its reach is far wider. Infant and prenatal care affects us all, whether we have children or not.
  • The Breast Cancer 3-Day Walk
    For years, the Susan G. Komen Foundation for a Cure has been doing fundraising walks to provide treatment for underserved communities and to fund research into new treatments and possible cures for breast cancer. Again, whether you know someone with breast cancer or not, it is a disease that the society as a whole is impacted by every day, monetarily, spiritually, and socially. And the chance to walk 60 miles in 3 days with a bunch of crazy cancer survivors? Priceless!
  • American Lung Association Stair Climbs
    Got a free Sunday morning? Why not hike to the top of the Hancock Center in Chicago? Or the AON Center in LA? All to benefit a good cause, of course--lung disease research. No, the ALA isn't all about lung cancer. It's about asthma (which is heavily impacted by indoor air conditions and outdoor pollution) and allergies (which are impacted by chemical exposure and environmental damage) and various other lung diseases which are afflicting a greater and greater number of people every year. As a former smoker, I'm kind of attached to the ALA--they may have to save me from my past sins one day, so I'd better give them money now.
  • AIDS Marathon
    The AIDS Marathon foundation will train you to run a marathon (or a half-marathon) and give you a chance to raise money for AIDS research and treatment at the same time. I admit I've never thought of running a marathon, and likely never will, but the idea, if you're game, is to train for it and run it for the AIDS research community.
  • The Walk to Defeat ALS
    The ALS Association raises money for research into a cure for Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (Lou Gehrig's Disease). This disease is a particular cause for a friend of mine, so I sock away a little money in my budget to donate to the walk every year.
So, that's my list for the day. I have to set up my March for Babies site soon and start hitting all my friends up for a little money. It's amazing how much you can raise just by asking for five or ten dollars from a bunch of coworkers and friends.

Give it a try--you might earn a free t-shirt and sunny day of walking with a whole bunch of newly-met friends.

5 comments:

  1. I love doing fundraising walks - I get some exercise and feel like I've done a little something to help out. I do Susan G Komen at least once a year, and some snowshoe treks for various things. Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you look closely at the NASA Image of the Day... you can see my house. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! I missed the NASA for yesterday! But doesn't it make you feel special to know that you can be seen from space?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish had some money to donate to these worthy causes, but things are so rough for us retired folks so we have to watch every penny. I applaud you folks who can help out. The running idea is also beyond my abilities these days. It is good to see young people doing the right thing. To be young again and with some money in my pocket !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jock--

    It's always been a myth that people retire and live the high life, and nowadays it's even harder to just get by. I think the trick of all of this is to know where we're at when.

    See, when I was young, I had neither the time nor the desire to find the money or the energy to give other people. Then I got older, and made more money and discovered more about life, and now I have both the money and the desire. If I'm very lucky, when I'm older still, I'll have the knowledge and the wisdom to teach younger people how to help, even if I no longer have the money and the physical ability to do it myself.

    When we're young, we're all just too self-centered to put youth's energy and passion to good use. Having retired folks who remember their own passion and know now what they would have done then is a way for kids to get past the self-centered times a little faster, and that's worth it's weight in gold--or marathons.

    ReplyDelete