Monday, February 9, 2009

Cleaning house--or office

So, we're moving offices at work. The entire top floor of the building is being redone, so my entire department is moving down a floor. A floor already occupied. Which means lots and lots of throwing things away and making space for things.

We already called a company to haul away our old, broken computers. I wish I could donate them to someone who could rehabilitate them, but alas, they are far too far gone. Now I am redesigning the basement to fit the other department here on the top floor, and that involves cleaning up the basement and reorganizing and generally tearing it apart to put it back together in a better way.

We're doing the same at home, where we're making more room for more furniture which is desperately needed for one more person. This, too, involves dumping things and donating things and cleaning and organizing.

I've so far filled six boxes with paper for recycling, and that's just in my office at work. I have no idea how much more I'll unearth as I clean out the rest of the department. At home, where we downsized radically before moving to our current home, there was less to get rid of, but there always is something.

I'd love to have a life where, once a day, I got rid of something. Not throwing garbage away, no, but one thing--a toy, a book, a small appliance I don't really use... I wonder how long it would take to get to the point where I had only what I needed.

I'm thinking, sadly, that that would be a very long time. But I guess that's what it takes to tear something apart to put it back together in a better way, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment