Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Recycling made easier?

This story on recycling #5 plastic crossed my digital desk today, and it got me thinking about the fact that I hate eating yogurt out of plastic.

Really. I get tubs of organic yogurt and I eat them and then I have this stupid plastic "can" to throw away or hoard until I can get up the gumption to go to the recycling center. It's annoying.

This weekend, we have another farmer's market, and there's a wonderful dairy in Wisconsin that attends. I bought some yogurt from them at the last farmer's market, and it was wonderful. It was also in a glass bottle. For which I paid a deposit which I will get back when I go there this weekend.

OR... I could instead buy a jug of skim milk (they make their yogurt with full fat milk which is very rich for me) and make my own yogurt. I have a lovely stainless steel thermos just begging for a chance to culture some milk.

And then, instead of having a plastic jug of milk and a plastic can of yogurt, I can have one glass bottle and a stainless steel thermos. And the bottle can just go back to the dairy to be traded for another--this one full of milk!

Yes. That sounds like a plan to me! I'll let you know how the yogurt-making goes. I haven't done it in a very long time, so I'll probably flub it the first time!

3 comments:

  1. Have you thought about the carbon footprints of computers, cameras, Cds, and other digital things we use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funnily enough, that's the topic of today's post. Given the number of electronic thingies I have, I do find it amazing that I haven't destroyed the planet all on my own with all the e-waste. *sigh*

    Stay tuned. I'm netless at home right now, so I'll have to blog on my lunch hour. Thank goodness for understanding bosses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kali,
    Your blog says good, sensitive, intelligent things. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete