Saturday, February 7, 2009

"I live on that high horse"

So, after I wrote my article on e-waste, I was helping one of my co-workers with a problem on her machine. Our computers here are pretty old, and I spend a great deal of my time trying to keep them all going. She and I were lamenting that computers today are just not designed to last. It's a functional attempt (conscious or not) to create a spend-and-toss culture. (More on that later.)

"Not to get on my high horse," she began, to which I immediately returned, "I live on that high horse."

And really, is that the problem? What I mean to say is that there are an awful lot of us "green types" out here saying things that, really, the people reading us have already heard. And already agree with--or they've already stopped reading our writing because they don't agree with us. So, am I just sitting up here on my high horse and not getting down on the ground and working through the mud? Is that useful?--to have a person standing up there and saying "this is what everyone should do"?

Colin Beavan decided to see what one man could do if he got off his high horse and put his money where his mouth was. He became No Impact Man. Two women started thinking about what it would take to meet Monbiot's requirement of 94% resource use reduction and tried to see if they could do it. They started a movement called Riot for Austerity.

I've mentioned them before. I've also mentioned that I'm very much not them.

Am I, however, a person who has the strength of my conviction to get off my high horse and do something? Increasingly, yes. And also really, really no. I don't throw away things I could recycle, mostly, and yet I am known by name and drink at the local Starbuck's. I use reusable containers to take food to work, even going so far as to bring cutlery, but I go out to eat more often than I should and while I cringe at the plastic wrap and plastic bag and styrofoam, I still eat the food. I send off e-letters to my government officials about various things, but you'd have to hold a gun to my head to get me to go to a school board meeting and open my mouth.

I wish my high horse was a little shorter. I wish I had the courage of conviction to walk all the way to work (it's only three miles, which, really, not as far as all us modern people seem to think it is) or to eat only local food or to never buy something new if I can find it used.

I know, however, that I am not that super. I'm not No Impact Man. I am, however, a lot more like the rest of the world than I am different.

Colin had a post recently about prioritizing resource use to improve lives and it's not so much the article itself that interests me, as the comments. If you read through them all (and there are quite a few), you notice a conversation that goes on about the fact that we (the greenies) are not going to convince "other people--normal people" to give up their TVs and DVDs and iPods and Starbuck's and whatnot. In fact, we're just preaching to the choir and using only the choir to obtain data on what people really need to be happy.

It's a fair point. I have friends who live for their special television shows--hell, there are shows I absolutely will not miss myself; shows I must immediately jump on the internet to discuss the second the credits roll. I am not the only person I know who needs--needs--Starbuck's in the morning. Starbuck's. No substitutions.

The point of trying to change the world is that you need to change it in such a way that most of the people more or less don't hate it. For instance, television. It's never going away--at least not until we find an even cooler way of telling those stories. So instead of saying "oh my God, TV is wrong--it's a horrible resource-wasting beast!" (unless of course, you think that), maybe saying "okay, so, we have TV. Maybe we could find a better way of powering it? One that didn't send miles and miles coal trains to the power plant to make tons and tons of CO2."

I was going to follow that example with "Or fast food giants..." but I actually think fast food giants are slowly killing a great swath of the population and a good bit of the planet right along with them, so I don't really have much of an argument. Also, given that I'm one of the people being slowly killed (though much more slowly than I used to be), perhaps I'm not the best one to address that problem.

So instead I'm going to ask a similar question to Colin's: If there is something resource-using that you can't live without, how could it be made just a little bit less resource-using?

I'll go first. I really, really, really love watching television. However, perhaps I could put the television on its own separate plug so that I could keep the DVD and VCR and such unplugged and non-resource-using the vast majority of the time. And of course, I could unplug the TV before I go to bed at night and before I leave for work in the morning.

And maybe I could write that four hundredth letter to my local electric company to see if they can finally offer me a little bit of clean energy?

11 comments:

  1. This is hard. I can't imagine life without movies and documentaries. I made an "investment" and have a high definition T.V. To be honest, I wouldn't give this up at the present. I am trying to switch to LED lighting which is very expensive and tricky. I can only do it in very small increments. I maintain my garden. I support the local community garden.If I really had money, I would build an energy efficient house. But that's the irony ! You have to be rich to be green--sometimes. A great question. I have things with adaptors on strips. How much electricity would one really save unplugging the TV overnight?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have hard and fast numbers (yes, I know, me with no numbers!) but you'll find a good drop in phantom energy by unplugging appliances (or just by turning off the power strips they're plugged into). And the adapters (or "bugs") are generally even more power hungry than standby TVs.

    Check your HDTV's user manual, too. Some of them require a "cycle down" time before you can unplug them or kill their power strips.

    Basically, in the bedrooms I have all the TVs, VCRs, DVPs, and such (including the printer and fax machine) on surge protectors which are only turned on when I need to use them. I really need to do that in the living room. I know I'm draining a dumb amount of energy--some suggest the typical US household may use 20% of their electricity for "phantom loads." Oi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! Forgot to comment on the LED lights! I'm going crazy with this! It's hard to find ones that screw into regular sockets and provide enough light. I'm really just not in a position to petition my condo board to let me rewire the entire condo for LED--not to mention that we just cannot afford it.

    I'm really looking forward to the day when they have regular LEDs that I can just use to replace my CFLs in every single socket in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess that there has to be some personal/social value vs. carbon emissions. What I'm reading is telling me that a trip to Europe is a massive dump of carbon into the air through the plane ride. I mean what can we do here? At what point do you say that , even if I save up my money to make that trip, I can't go?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate re-setting those damn digital clocks when I unplug the TV stuff. Maybe we're better off with a sundial. I'm thinking about one in my garden. I have a sort of one, just measuring shadows on a path --when there is sun here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is definitely a personal/social side to it all. For example, we're expecting to have to travel to visit both sides of our family this summer--if you add us all up, you come up with 10,000 travel miles, which works out to 3.1 tons of CO2!

    On the other hand, the chance for the grandparents to see their grandbaby and for us to attend a family reunion is pretty significant. Significant enough that I'll be purchasing a carbon penance for the flights, rather than forgoing them.

    As to trips you decide not to make, you kind of have to decide for yourself. If you've never been to Europe, have always dreamed of going, and are going to make the most of it while you're there, then maybe see about ways you could minimize your impact while there instead of not going. Carry a water bottle (if you use a SIGG aluminum or a stainless steel bottle, be sure to empty it and check it in your bag), buy food from roadside stands that create minimal waste... Just put some thought into it.

    We're not going to stop people flying around the world--not even ourselves--but if you try to tread a little more lightly with every step, I think you're doing better than most.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know, Peaceable. I've been to Europe and traveled to many countries and made friends. It may be more of a future to know them on the internet now. This is one of those days when I feel like rejoining my friends who not only fight to save the forest but basically live in the forest. Can't deal....

    ReplyDelete
  8. I actually really agree with that idea--to a certain extent. I plan to set my parents up with a webcam and teach them how to use it so that they can "visit" much more often without having to spend the time, money, and resources to come here.

    Living in a global village is extremely difficult. I happened to have loved the fact that our new secretary of state delivered her address to the UN meeting in Spain via satellite feed. If more people did that, we'd have a greener world. I'm just not sure it's always feasible. But if you and your friends can be comfortable interacting online (I have friends I almost never see, but am very close with), then that's a good green fit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There was a time when I was another kind of activist and lived in the forest. I have friends still there. Not much credit is given to "forest people" for saving old growth. I'm quite depressed at the current state of affairs, and what seems the luxuriant lifestyle of so many "progressive" people. Is the battle out here or back there? Is my life with a computer, car, college courses, TV and, most important, electricity more useful to the planet than the forest life? It's so difficult to find the way between. A solar powered computer would be a boon though I'd guess that the internet requires huge amounts of electricity.
    Without some radical change to solar power, re-design of things to need less power, the planet has no future. These questions are discussed quite practically and honestly on your blog. That's why I'm here. If you don't mind, from time to time, I want to direct people from places like TPM and Daily KOs to your blog. Let me know if that is something you don't want. If I can keep this up, I'm going to look into new kinds of healthcare solutions starting in the Third World. Less energy consumption. There is much I like out here in the electrified world. But one lives more in the moment without electricity. That is certain.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the kudos, though I'm not sure I'm really doing enough to warrant it! :)

    The blog is here, among other reasons, to discuss and struggle with the problems inherent in living a "normal" life while trying to ease the stress on the planet, so please feel free to link whenever you feel the yen. I'll be here.

    And I think it's amazing to have people who live in the forests and the barren plains and the jungles, without taking more from their surroundings than the surroundings can bear. And while the internet is a very energy-intensive entity, I do think it's of great importance to all of us. Knowledge of farming techniques and dire troubles and wonderful stories can be disseminated very widely that way. It is incumbent upon us all, however, to lighten the load of the superhighway.

    I'll be posting in the following weeks about greener ways of using the internet (which strangely include things like using your cellphone), because I truly believe that the way forward is to get most people on board. And you and your friends in the trees are amazing, but sadly, most people are simply not willing to live that way, so we need to find a way for most people to live greener--without letting most people know that they are ;)!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You should seriously think about cross-posting this next piece about greener use of the internet on Talking Points Memo (TPM) --you will reach many, many more readers. Many will check out your blog, even if they don't leave comments. That happens at my blog.

    Also, the "tree people" are ecology activists as much as anything else. Especially about protecting old-growth. One is more likely to take steps of protection when you are protecting your home. There are various levels of living without electricity. One can have a perfectly fine house without using electricity. Burning old wood that has gone to the forest floor. Using black hose snaked on the roof to make hot water (sometimes just warm)....

    ReplyDelete